Essential Jackfruit is a natural, nutritious and delicious alternative to meat. Transform any recipe into a vegetarian/vegan dish with Essential Organic Young Jackfruit. The fibrous pieces of fruit readily soak up rich and spicy flavours and can be used to create a huge range of tasty, meaty dishes that are good for you and good for the planet. This product is Organic and is Vegan. 400
Ingredients: Young Jackfruit*, Water, Sea Salt, Lime Juice*.
*Organically produced ingredient
Storage Information: Once opened, place unused contents into a covered, non-metallic container and refrigerate. Drain and rinse before use. Use within 2 days of opening.
Typical values per 100g of product
359k/ 85.8 kcal
of which saturates
of which sugars
Recipe for a Curried Jackfruit Pie:
12" pie pan serves 6
For the filling: 2tbsp coconut oil, 2 medium onions diced, 3 cloves garlic grated, 2" piece ginger grated, 1 red pepper diced, 1 cup frozen peas, 3 tbsp tomato purée, 1 400ml tin coconut milk, 1 tin organic jackfruit drained & diced, 2 tsp cornflour.
Spice mix: 2 tsp cumin seed, 2 tsp coriander seed, 1 tsp black peppercorns, 1 tsp brown mustard seed, 1 tbsp garam masala, 1 tsp madras curry powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp curry leaves.
For the pastry: 145g rice flour, 145g fine polenta, 50g cornflour, 220g cold mashed potato, 280g hard baking margarine or butter, 1bsp yeast flakes, pinch of salt.
1. In a small pan on a medium heat, toast the whole spices until they begin to pop. Add in the rest of the spice mix ingredients and stir frequently to warm through the spices. Pound and grind in a pestle and mortar until fine.
2. In a saucepan heat the coconut oil and fry the onions over a medium heat stirring occasionally until they become translucent. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the spice mix, coat the 'holy trinity' garlic, onion and ginger mix and add the tomato purée. Let the purée caramelize slightly. Keep stirring. Add the jackfruit and combine, followed by the tin of coconut milk so it covers the surface. Keep topping up with water and simmer for 30 minutes until the jackfruit falls into strands. This is a great time to make the pastry.
3. Make the pastry. In a food processor, pulse the flours, fat of your choice and the salt til resembles fine breadcrumbs. You can do this by hand if you prefer. Add the mashed potato, bring the mixture together with your fingers and begin gently kneading to achieve a smooth ball of pastry. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
4. Back to the filling. Combine the cornflour with 2-3 tsp of cold water and add to the pan. Keep simmering and stirring and it will start to thicken. Taste to check the flour is cooked and season with salt to taste. Add in the peas and leave to cool.
5. Grease and flour the tin. Flour the bench and take 2/3rds of the ball and pat down and turn to produce a 'thick coin'. Flour the pin and pastry/bench if necessary and start rolling. Roll once, turn 90 degrees, roll again, and repeat until you've got a round piece 2-3mm thick. Keep adding a little flour if it's sticking. If you prefer, you can roll the pastry out between two sheets of cling film or greaseproof paper. Don't worry if the edges begin to crack, gently coax them together. Transfer the flattened circle to the tin and gently press the edges into the sides of the tin using a small lump of pastry. Guide it up to the top of the tin and run a knife round the edge of the tin to neaten of the edge, leaving enough of a lip to attach the lid to. Roll out more pastry for the lid. Refrigerate till needed.
6. Fill the pie tin with the filling and smooth it out. Take the lid, place it over the top and crimp the edges with your thumb and forefinger to seal. Make some slits in the top to allow air to escape during cooking and brush with a little melted coconut oil for a shiny glaze.
7. Bake in the oven at 180c for 35-40 or until golden brown.
We will endeavour to deliver within 3-5 days but please allow up to 14days as we try and order & deliver as environmentally friendly as possible. If items are out of stock we will contact you. At the very most delivery will be 30 days or a full refund given. Delivery is for the UK & Ireland only, if outside of this area please email & we may be able to help.
It is possible to collect your delivery if you prefer and omit the delivery charge, please call for date and time for collection.
Please select the correct postage option for your postcode/area. We hope to bring prices down, on the cost of delivery once we have been delivering Nationally for a while & as volume increases, we still deliver to Somerset, Dorset, Bristol & Bath as before ourselves.
You will receive an email regarding expected delivery times & if any item is out of stock. You will also receive an email or text regarding your delivery on the day it is due to arrive.
Returns and refunds information
Faulty goods must be notified within 4 working days and returned within 7, a replacement will be ordered or money refunded for faulty goods only. Items that are the incorrect size must be returned in a saleable condition, a replacement size will be ordered where possible or an alternative will be found.